WILD and BROWN RICE SALAD with ROASTED BRAZIL NUTS
INGREDIENTS - FOR THE SALAD
- 150G WILD RICE; SOAK FOR 2 HOURS
- 150G BROWN RICE
- 160G PLANTERS BRAZIL NUTS
- 1 LARGE HANDFUL BABY SPINACH
- 1 LARGE SPANISH ONION
- 2 TABLESPOONS CURRANTS
- 1 GRANNY SMITH APPLE; CUT INTO MATCHSTICKS
- 1 1/2 TABLESPOONS PARSLEY; CHOPPED
- 1 1/2 TABLESPOONS CORIANDER; CHOPPED
- 1 TABLESPOON FRESH CHIVES; CHOPPED
INGREDIENTS - FOR THE DRESSING
- 1 TABLESPOON WHITE WINE VINEGAR
- 1 TABLESPOON LEMON JUICE
- 3 TABLESPOONS OLIVE OIL
- ZEST AND JUICE OF 1/2 ORANGE
- SALT AND FRESHLY GROUND PEPPER
Toast the nuts in the oven at 190°C. For 10 minutes, or alternatively in the microwave on "high" until golden. Allow the nuts to cool then chop roughly, keeping a few large pieces to garnish.
Bring a large pot of water to the boil and salt generously. Add the wild rice and the brown rice to the boiling water and simmer until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain the rice and transfer to a large bowl. Add the spinach to the hot rice and allow the heat of the rice to wilt the spinach.
Add the spanish onion, currants, apple sticks, chopped nuts and herbs and mix well with the rice mixture.
Mix the dressing ingredients together with a whisk until emulsified and pour over the rice, mixing well while the rice is still warm. Garnish with the large nuts and serve either warm or at room temperature.